Building a Team at Scale
Since our inception, Scale Venture Partners has been on a mission to invest in the best entrepreneurs and support them as they build market-leading companies. And much like the companies we invest in, the team that's assembled to help accomplish the mission is the most important asset we have. In the 2 years following the announcement of Fund VII in 2020 we've spent considerable time and effort building the team. With today's announcement of Fund VIII, we are excited to announce several new promotions, the addition of new team members, and capabilities to our Scaling Platform.
Promoting from Within
Venture is an apprenticeship business. Learning and observing from different partners to see how they work with entrepreneurs makes you a better investor and board member. We have a history of promoting from within as evidenced by the previous announcements of Eric Anderson and Jeremy Kaufmann to Partner. To that end, we are pleased to announce the promotion of Sam Baker to Principal, and Noah Gross and John Gianakopolous to Vice President.
- Sam joined Scale in 2016 and focuses on the firm's investment in SaaS, vertical software, robotics, and other frontier technology. He was named to Business Insider's list of Rising Stars in Venture Capital, and has contributed to the firm's investments in Dusty Robotics, Locus Robotics, Socure, CyberGRX, OM1, Proxy and PerimeterX.
- John joined Scale in 2018 having previously spent time as a fintech product manager at Intuit QuickBooks and also at Personal Capital. He has been featured multiple times on Business Insider’s list of up-and-coming financial technology investors and has contributed to the firm's investments in Papaya Global, Socure, ScoutRFP, AppOmni, Archipelago, Comet, Spruce, Tetrate, and others.
- Noah joined Scale in 2019 from Cisco Investments and focuses on B2B applications adding automation and machine intelligence as well as the fintech ecosystem. He is closely involved with portfolio companies Root Insurance, Airspace Technologies, Matillion, Textio, Upsolver, Verusen, and Robin.
New Investing Team Members
A venture firm also needs to constantly infuse new people, and in turn, new thinking if we are to be successful. We are also excited to welcome a new principal and a class of 5 new associates.
- Javier Redondo joins as a Principal. Javier focuses on infrastructure and business software with a particular interest in open source and fintech. He joins Scale from Anyscale, where he led product efforts for the development of a managed compute offering and was a regular contributor to the Ray project.
2022 New Associates
- Maggie Basta joins Scale from QuantCo, where she built machine learning and data solutions for algorithmic pricing, fraud detection, and data migration. She also previously interned at the Blackstone Group as a member of the company’s Innovations team.
- Sreya Chagarlamudi joins Scale from Tesla where she was a Product Manager leading product development and engineering for internal tools, document management, and automation.
- Jonas Ciplickas joins Scale from Morgan Stanley's technology investment banking team, where he partnered with management teams across software, health tech, consumer internet, and semiconductors.
- Abbas Haider joins Scale from Deutsche Bank's technology investment banking group, where he helped businesses across the software, internet, and hardware verticals with capital raising and M&A.
- Shayan Shafii joins Scale from Rubrik, where he was a Senior Product Manager leading roadmap development, and go-to-market efforts for infrastructure backup products.
Expanding Scaling Platform Capabilities
We made our first significant investment in our Scaling Platform back in 2015 when Dale Chang joined our team. Today marks the next phase of growth for our Scaling Platform as we announce the addition of 2 new executives to the team. Hillá Watkins joins us as our new Chief Marketing Officer and Craig Rosenberg joins us as our Chief Platform Officer.
- Hillá Watkins joins us from Pendo, where she was VP of Brand Marketing. While at Pendo, she created ProductCraft, a global community of product leaders.
- Craig Rosenberg joins us from Gartner, where he was a Distinguished VP. He joined Gartner via acquisition of Topo, an advisory firm he co-founded that focused on GTM for early stage technology companies.
While they are each individually exceptional executives, together, they create a differentiated platform for Scale to continue to support new and existing portfolio companies. Hillá and Craig are joined by our new Executives in Residence which build on the Scale Go-to-Market Network.
- Matt Amundson joins us from Very Good Security where he served as CMO. He was previously CMO at Everstring.
- Brandon O'Sullivan joins us from PlanetScale where he served as VP of Sales. He was previously at Scale portfolio company, DroneDeploy
- Sydney Sloan joins us from SalesLoft where she served as CMO through the strategic growth investment by Vista Equity Partners.
On behalf of the entire Scale team, we are all excited to work with you, the next generation of founders.
Originally published September 27, 2022.